Book Previewer enables you to use a shortcode to retrieve and display Google Books previews of titles you specify. The shortcode can be used on any WordPress page or post. Book Previewer supports all of the following book identifiers:
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Online Computer Library Center (OCLC)
- Library of Congress Control Number (LCCN)
- Google Play Generated Key (GGKEY)
A preview of your title must already exist in Google Books in order to use this plugin.
The Book Previewer Plugin for WordPress is free software that is being released WITHOUT WARRANTY under the Free Software Foundation’s GPL 3.0 license.
Book Previewer Features
- Uses a shortcode and the Google Books Embedded Viewer API to display a free preview for a book you specify
- Includes a widget that can be used in place of the shortcode
- Includes a text editor button that enables you to insert the majority of the shortcode without typing
- Supports WordPress localization (i18n)
- Supports displaying the preview as an embedded page element, a popup, or a direct link to the title on the Google Books site
- Supports site performance protection mechanisms, including caching of elements and an option to defer loading until the page footer
Book Previewer Rating
Book Previewer Change Log
- Enhanced security by hardening URL sanitization.
- Added image width and height parameters for Google Previewer button to improve Page Speed scores
bookpreviewerbutton in WordPress text editor to the shorter
- Fixed a WP_DEBUG notice that could be displayed on WordPress content types that are not pages or posts
- Added a Donate link to the plugin page
- Updated POT file
- Added responsive setting to improve appearance of embedded previewer on responsive sites.
- Modified script loading so that scripts are loaded only on the home page or any page/post that contains the bookpreviewer shortcode
- Updated minimum WordPress version to 3.6
- Fixed an issue with the popup button that could cause unwanted parent page scrolling
- Fixed a lower margin issue with the embedded viewer that could cause it to overlap with elements that follow it on a page.]
- Initial release
Book Previewer Installation
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- If you have a previous version of Book Previewer installed, deactivate and delete it from the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Upload the Book Previewer folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate Book Previewer by using the ‘Plugins’ menu
- Add the bookpreviewer shortcode to the page or post where you want to display the book preview
See Book Previewer in Action
[bookpreviewer bookid=”9781938271120″ height=”600″]